Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Another Adoption Journey Begins ......

Some of you will recall that while we were in China last year, I (Sherry) said that I would never in a million years do another international adoption.  Well, apparently God has a sense of humor!  When we say "never", I think it's an opportunity for God to do a great work in us.

For months, we have been discussing whether or not to do another adoption.  We want more kids, but infertility makes that impossible!  I just turned 38 and I feel like I want to be done having kids soon.  Plus, if we get out of the toddler years, I don't think I want to go back!!!!!  We've been talking, thinking, and praying for a long time.  This past week, we finally both felt like it was the right time.

We submitted our application this past Sunday, which was coincidentally Orphan Sunday.  We definitely didn't plan it that way, but it's cool that it worked out like that!  I'm anxious to get started and get our new family member home!!!!!  We are going back to China.  We are requesting a special needs boy or girl under age 3.  We are hoping that his or her need will be cleft lip/palate again.  That need can have a wide range of severity, but we have a great support system in place here and a great team of doctors.  However, we are open to considering a wide range of minor to moderate special needs.

If you are the praying type, please pray that:
1.  The right child would be matched with us.  There is a lot of work that goes into matching children with families.  We are praying that the right child for our family will find us.
2.  The money we need will be provided.  Adoption is very expensive and we have some money saved up, but not nearly enough.  We have already started changing around our household budget to save as much as we can.  I (Sherry) am trying to pick up more part-time work.  It doesn't make sense for me to go to work full-time because by the time we pay for full-time daycare for both kids, I won't bring home very much money.  I've already applied to another college for an Adjunct teaching position.  I'm also trying to find some tutoring jobs and sewing work for people.  We will also be applying for some adoption grants, but we can't do that until our Homestudy is completed, so about 6 months from now.

1 comment: