Yesterday, I was beginning to seriously doubt that we could handle this parenting 2 toddlers business. It was a pretty rough day.
I should warn you here that this post is not going to be all sunshine and roses. Just trying to be real ...... If you don't want to read about the hard part of adoption, stop reading now.
All day long, both kids were screaming. Luke was crying because he fell down (very dramatic these days). Luke was pushing Jacinda down for no reason. Jacinda walked into the corner of the table, so she was screaming because of the huge bump on her forehead. Jacinda was pulling on the cat's tail. One thing after the other. All.Day.Long.
Also, many other things happened ........ I found out I need a root canal. Our buddy, Steve, tore down what was left of our old fence. One of our neighbors freaked out because their dog got out and Steve brought it back. We had NO clue they had a dog, otherwise we would have told them. Lots of drama.
By the end of the day, I was DONE. I was really starting to wonder what we had gotten ourselves into. After Luke had pushed Jacinda down for about the 100th time, he went to his room. Aaron went up to talk to him and finally got the truth out of Luke. Luke was wondering if we could take Jacinda back. It was the first time he's said something like that to us. So they talked about it and we all went to bed.
This morning, Luke fell down or something and was crying. Before Jacinda came home, he totally would have just gotten up and been fine. Since she's been home, he cries at the drop of a hat. So I took him into my lap and asked why he was so sad all the time. He said, "Because Jacinda is here and I'm not the only kid any more." (Aaron had said something like that to him last night.)
So Luke and I talked about a few things. First, I told him that Daddy and I love him just as much as we ever did. Second, I told him that we're a family, and families work things out. I told him that this is hard for all of us. But that we would all work together and figure things out and be happy. He seemed to be satisfied with that discussion.
We, of course, knew that there would be some transition time for all of us. I don't think we realized it would be this hard. Luke is used to sharing, but he's not used to sharing HIS stuff, and HIS mommy and daddy. I'm not sure we realized how hard it would be for a 3 year old to have his entire world turned upside down.
Today has been better. Hopefully yesterday was just a bad day. I'm SO thankful that Aaron is working only part time this month. It's been so helpful to have him home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm praying for you guys!!
ReplyDeleteHang in there. It *does* get better. Those first weeks/months can be quite trying but you will make it through this. Many prayers and hugs. :O)
ReplyDeleteRhonda/Ladybug Mom
ourladybugadventures.com
It is hard Sherry. Very hard. It took over a year for things to get easier for us. My hunan hottie did not start to finally turn a corner until I started wearing her 6ish hours per day. I hope it is not that long for you wee one.
ReplyDeleteShe's adorable by the way. :)
gfam
Donna